Saturday, January 23, 2010

A swing.........and a miss!

As I continue with the Pantry Challenge, I am...., well, challenged. I didn't sleep much yesterday because I had therapy for my elbow and had to get up early. After therapy I went to the travel agent to start planning me and Dude's 20th anniversary trip to Iceland. Found out that Iceland is closed right now and not taking reservations. Hmmm, really? So the agent will call me in a couple weeks when they are back in business. Dude and I were alone last night so we went and grabbed some dinner and went to Menard's to pick up some stuff for my new scrap room. We found carpet, some trim pieces and a new light fixture. Now he is getting ready to paint the ceiling. We went to bed last night at 7:30 because we were so exhausted. Sleeping while it is dark outside is a weird concept to us! He woke up at midnight and I woke up at 3. Now at 11 PM I am ready for bed again. After napping this afternoon I asked what he wanted for dinner. After explaining that I didn't have any T-bones in the the freezer, I made him go down to the freezer and just pick something out. He pulled out what I thought was a pork roast, but after cooking we came to the conclusion it was some kind of beef......thing. I thawed it, marinated it in olive oil, apple cider, rosemary, thyme and a little ginger and Tuscan Sunset blend. I put it in the oven with some onions that were sprinkled with some olive oil and some of the same herbs used in the marinade, I placed it in a 325 degree oven for about an hour and a half. I made a package of angel hair pasta and herb boxed side dish. Yeah. The meat must have been old as it was dry and tasteless. The pasta was good, but I was totally disappointed by the meat. I guess this is what the challenge is all about, right?

We are thinking we might do homemade soup tomorrow, but we will see. I have a coupon for Michael's and have a list of things that I need to pick up. It is also the big game between the Vikings and the Saints for a spot in the Superbowl!! Dude doesn't like football, but I kind of do, so I think I may have to watch. Normally we go for motor sports, but I love high school football and always watched the Vikings with my Dad growing up. I remember him in his skivvies (underwear) and t-shirt yelling at the Fran Tarkenton about the ball and Mom telling him if he knew so much, maybe he should go coach them. Ahhhh, good times, good times. Let's go Purple-make us proud!

9 comments:

Debbie said...

I should be doing the same with my pantry and freezer. My husband says we'd have enchiladas and pumpkin pies FOREVER, because that's what I have a good stock pile of... ?????
Keep up the good work! (and the meat might not have tasted great, but it looked good )

Bob said...

I hate that! I have the habit of losing things in the back of the freezer all the time. It looks good, great picture!

buffalodick said...

Mystery meat..we all got some in the freezer somewhere..

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

ok, fun qith frozen grab bag...

but what makes you want to vacation in Iceland... shouldn't you be thinking warm places right now. I am pretty happy to let Iceland stay closed

Lea Ann said...

I'm trying to thin out my freezer too. Iceland is closed?? LOL. Plus, I don't think I've ever known anyone who has been to Iceland. What an adventure.

tamilyn said...

We are celebrating our 20th anniversary in Iceland as it is somewhere my hubby has always wanted to visit. 25th anniversary is my pick and we are heading to Greece for that one!!

noble pig said...

Iceland is closed? Huh? A country can close, I'm a little fascinated by this and want to know more.

Monica H said...

closed and not taking reservations? how odd. That sounds like a good excuse though so I'm going to run with it- ha!

sorry the beef 'thing' wsn't the greatest. at least you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Spryte said...

Well... it 'looks' good!!