Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fresh Blueberry Pie

How many of you, besides Bob have tried to type a post with a cat on your lap? How about a kitten who is possessed by magic jumping beans? He is licking my fingers as I just ate a piece of pizza. Silly Tofu!
I made a blueberry pie from scratch this past weekend as a part of my dessert trio for work. As I had mentioned in the last post, I have made many blueberry pies for Dude, as it is his favorite. I have never made one from fresh blueberries. I found a really pretty looking pie in Food Network magazine, but it called for 7 cups of blueberries, and cooking some of them, etc. Not enough time. Found one in my old Betty Crocker cookbook and one in a church cookbook. I kind of winged it with a little from this one, a little from that one, etc. I'm guessing on the measurements, other than the amount of blueberries, sugar and tapioca, as those I measured.
Fresh Blueberry Pie
dough for a 2 crust pie
2 pints blueberries, washed, stemmed and picked over for bad ones
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup instant tapioca
2-3 TBSP pure maple syrup
approximately 1/2 cup water
grated lemon peel from one lemon
juice from one lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
raw sugar
heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients except pie crust dough. Mix with spatula to incorporate all ingredients. Stir several times over the next 20 minutes so tapioca will soften. Roll dough into bottom of pie plate. Fill with the filling, then cover with top crust. Crimp crusts together and vent top crust. Brush the crust with the cream and sprinkle with the raw (Turbanino sugar). Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. I cover the rim of my pie with a pie crust protector. If you don't have one, make a ring out of tin foil and cover edges so they don't get burnt. Remove protector after 30 minutes. Depending on the day and your oven, it will take 35 to 45 minutes to get crust golden brown and the fruit filling bubbly.

I didn't get a photo of it cut as I basically took it out of oven and put it in the carrier and left for work, so here is the pan after the savages at work got through with the pie!

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Judging from your pie plate, Id say this recipe is a keeper. Id love mine warm with ice cream.

Bob said...

Heh, Noodles likes to lick my fingers while I'm trying to type. Drives me nuts.

I love a good pie, but have never made a blueberry one.

Leslie said...

No cats here. But believe me..my kids jumping all over me is worse!!LOL
Lovely pie!

noble pig said...

Oh my goodness...this is what I need to make with all my blueberries!

avesta said...

Blueberries are on sale...will try this out!!!

Shelby said...

hehe. I have written a post with a kitten in my lap (while using my laptop too!). Rudy likes to do the same thing!