Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A trip to Mickey's


This is Mickey's Diner in downtown St. Paul. It is a landmark-both literally and figuratively. It is on the National Landmark Registry. It has been in this location for 70 years and is still owned and operated by one of the founding families.

I have lived in Minnesota my entire life (except for those 2 plus years as a toddler) and have just eaten here for the first time today.

The conversation started on Wednesday night/Thursday morning around 4 A.M. I was jonesing for a burger and no place in our town is open 24 hours a day. We would have had to go to Faribault for that. Dude said we could drive up to Mickey's and grab a burger. It was tempting, but I had on jammie pants, a wool hat and a bathrobe-not the time to be taking a trip. I made waffles and he made bacon and we survived.
Tonight was Drama Queen's spring concert (she had a solo and was totally fabulous-just so you know ;-}) and after we called Grandpa so she could interview him for a speech she has to do, Dude said "Let's go to Mickey's and get those burgers". It was 9-and we hopped in the car and left. 35 minutes later we were there.

Dude's Sputnik burger with hashbrowns-they shred them on site




My Bacon Cheeseburger



Dude eating his big burger


Drama Queen spooning up the malt



It is a small place-4 booths and 10 stools. 30 minute time limit. Breakfast all day. Totally old school. It rocked.

8 comments:

Pam said...

You have me drooling - your bacon cheeseburger looks amazing.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Those burgers are to die for! Drama Queen lloks just like you Tami...she has your gorgeous eyes!

Bob said...

Holy crap. Those burgers look unreal! I love old school diners.

vanillasugarblog said...

I wish we had a joint like that around here. I need pig out time!

Debbie said...

Sounds like a great place. These types of places are the best. We've had a few family run restaurants shut down here recently only to be replaced by restaurants chains. I hate that....

Emily said...

Mmm everything looks good to me!

Except for the thirty minute time limit. Eek! I don't like that. I like to take my time.

Shelby said...

Love the retro look of the building!

Monica H said...

Now I want a burger. drool.