Friday, January 16, 2009

Pork in the Pot

I was reading my new magazine "Food Network Magazine" and it said that a trick for winning cooking contests was to have a catch name. Hmmm, pork in the pot probably won't win it for me. It wins over my tummy in a big way though. The pictures didn't turn out very well and I know part of it is my camera and part is that I cook at night. I work nights and sleep days. I stay on my schedule on my days off so I don't get my sleep pattern all screwed up. I make dinner at a normal time (usually) but only on my days off, unless I use the slow cooker. I used it today, but only because it is the best way to get a tender roast out of tough piece of meat. I wanted something nice a warm as we had another freaking cold day. School was closed but I made the Dude go to the grocery store with me. Very quiet there this morning. Picked up groceries for next week and we were good to go. There is nothing the Dude hates more than shopping, especially for food. Two aisles in and he is throwing stuff in saying, 'is that everything, are you done, we don't need anything down that aisle'. It would be easier to go by myself, but I like the company and needs to give a little input into our dining decisions. He got very excited when I bought lemons and bananas as he knows I am going to make him lemon meringue pie and banana cream pie next week. The man loves his pie. He bought me a great cookbook about 4 years ago called Diner Desserts. The bars I made tonight are from it (posting that probably tomorrow). He doesn't get the Lemon pie very often as it is pretty labor intensive, but I haven't done it for awhile and he deserves it. He talked to his parents last night and mentioned that his mom made Tom Thumb bars. I asked what they were and he mentioned what he thought was in them. I in turn had to kick the Drama Queen off the computer so I could email my MIL and get the recipe, so he knows that is coming soon, too. Tonight it was all about the pork. I'm a beef girl. I grew up on beef and nothing makes my tummy happier than a nice filet Mignon or some prime rib. As I am getting older I am developing a taste for pork. I love ham, LOVE BACON, but not a big fan of pork chops. But am starting to like the roasts. Oh, and those little tiny Hormel ones? Hello-goodness on a bun-that is what we do; grill, slice, put on a bun, cover with BBQ sauce and eat. And repeat. I think possibly it stems from some awfully dry pork I had made when newly married, so things are coming along nicely!
Pork in the Pot

1-3 pound pork roast
4 carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces
1/2 an onion, sliced, or one large shallot, sliced (this is what I used)
5 cloves of garlic, just crushed a little to slip off skin, left whole
Pork chop seasoning
Salt and pepper
Peel and slice carrots
Slice shallot

Crush the garlic
Season the roast with spice, salt and pepper

All the kids go into the pool, with veggies on the bottom. Pour over liquid of your choice. I used beef stock (not pictured). Set the slow cooker to Low and let 'er rip. 7 hours later, plate that bad boy up and let sit and rest for a few minutes. Serve with potatoes or any other side that floats your boat. I used fingerling potatoes tonight, but I steamed them instead of putting in with the roast.

It was so tender and flavorful. I am glad we have enough left for work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually like the name...it sounds delcious.

Lawsy Mercy said...

I love Penzey's spices!!!!