Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chaaarrreee, cherry baby

My husband was asked at work on Sunday night what treat they could expect this week. He informed the asker that since we were not working OT it would not be until our normal next scheduled day which was Wednesday. I thought it to be quite humorous-John now asks that I bring treats. I get the vibe his wife's cooking may be, well, let's just say I normally see him eat salads or take out. I don't know for sure, maybe she is a terrific cook but doesn't have much time as I know she works. I'm digressing. I wanted to try something new and was inspired by Cathy (at Noble Pig) on the dump-type dessert she made the other day. I found on the side of my pie filling can what they called Cherry Surprise Cake. I'm taking liberties and calling it Cherry Bliss as John was quite blissful after have 4 pieces. I did take a little liberty with the ingredients, but it is based on the can of pie filling in the picture.



Cherry Bliss


1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soft butter (not shown)-I was softening it at photo time
4 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1-21 oz can cherry pie filling
2 tsp cinnamon






Grease 9x13 pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, oil and butter. Mix together. Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add in water and vanilla and beat until creamy. Gradually add flour and baking powder. When all combined, pour a little over half of mixture into pan and spread out. It says to use half, but I used about 2/3-I like to see whats in there. Spread pie filling over base. I spooned it out and dropped it so I could make sure I would get cherries in each piece. Spoon remaining batter over top of cherries.



Combine the remaining 1/4 sugar with the cinnamon; sprinkle over the batter.




Place in oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes. I checked mine after 46 minutes and it was done.






It looks like it is wet in this photo, but it wasn't. It was like a crisp shell almost.


Serve with whipped cream if desired.









I asked for honest opinions and all who tried it really liked it so I asked if they thought they would like it with other fruit too and got a resounding yes. I think I will try it with the last bag of frozen rhubarb I have.

Okay, Lars didn't like, but he doesn't like cherries so he didn't have any. He said "I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I am not a fan of cherries. It looks really good though and thanks for offering". Randy laughed-he said Lars was trying to not upset the gravy train so he could have treats next time. What a card!

8 comments:

Spryte said...

Yum!!

Anonymous said...

I love cherries a lot so this is definitely a dessert for me - looks delicious!

Bob said...

I'm not the biggest cherry fan myself, but I love the idea of it. And it does look good! I bet it would be good with apple chunks and maybe some raspberries. :)

Heather said...

mmmmm!!!! that DEFINITELY looks like bliss to me!

Missy said...

I am thinking blueberries, I have been on a blueberry kick lately.
Looks good your coworkers are so lucky!

Anonymous said...

Gawd love the cherry pie filling! Looks delicious.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

That is pure decadence! YUM!

Pam said...

I love cherries. I saw this on Cathy's site and thought it looked great too. Nice job - it's looks incredible.