Sunday, February 22, 2009

Reality is setting in

Hermit Crab is turning 18 in 4 days. I spent the afternoon with my best friend from high school (our 25th reunion is coming up-we nearly cried about that too!) shopping for her birthday presents. I think I went a little overboard, but this is a momentous occasion and deserves to be special. She wrote a very detailed list with exclamation marks next to the ones she really wants like the pre-sale order of the Twilight DVD and a Wicked puzzle. Which I found out she found on-line and not at a B&N store-grrrr. I also went on-line today and paid her tuition deposit for college. Sigh. It is really happening. Most days lately I want to kick her to the curb as she has been extra lazy and mouthy. But as I clicked on the send button, it really hit me. She is leaving me in about 5 months. I know she will be home at Thanksgiving and Christmas and all summer working, she is, for all intents and purposes, leaving. I don't know that I'm ready.

2 comments:

Heather said...

i can guarantee you, she might be mouthy now, but one day she will thank you for the sacrifices you make in paying for college. i think my parents everyday..

tamilyn said...

Well, she is really on her own for college. We will be picking up the small stuff and giving her an allowance, but we really are not in the position to pay for college, let alone a private one. Scholarships, baby :)