Sunday, February 22, 2009

I so sad...

Yes, I intentionally spelled the title incorrectly. This is a popular saying for me to my hubby "I so sad, I so tye-red, I so hungry". It started many years before I met him and just something I can't let go of. Today (well, actually yesterday since it is after midnight where I live) we were to have our sibling Christmas get together and bring my Mom her car. I made bars, even though my sister B said not to bring food as she made enough for an army; couldn't help myself-I can't show up somewhere empty handed. We were on the road (crappy drive in Big Bertha pulling a car hauler on icy roads) when I texted my niece and asked if everyone was there yet. She and her boyfriend were going to drive up on Friday and leave Saturday night as they have about a 5 hour drive. My phone starts to ring and it is Kesh and she asked if I had not heard the latest update. Oh crap. Apparently her and Nate are very sick and my sister S (her mother) was snowed in at her house. Double crap. She told us to have fun and enjoy some food for her as she was going back to bed with tissues, tea and a blanket.

My sister B had a HUGE spread of food for the 9 of us that made it. My girls didn't come as they had a speech competition, one of my nephews is in the service, and S, Kesh and Nate were no shows. We had a lot of food. I didn't cook this, but thought I would share B's stuff.


Warm Onion Dip
3 large packages of cream cheese, softened
1 large onion, diced small (or a bag of frozen chopped onions, thawed)
1 cup mayo
1 cup cheese (she used Parm today)


Stir the cream cheese and mayo together. Add the onions and cheese, stirring to make sure everything has been well coated and distributed. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden and crusty. She served with small french baguette slices.

She said that she has used many different types of cheese in this dish; fontina, Swiss, cheddar. She has added roasted garlic, bits of asparagus, dill. She uses the above as a base and adds whatever looks good. She was mild today since there were some fussy eaters, present company included. I did really enjoy it-but very onion-y. I'm still burping it up.
This was an appetizer along with Earl's cheese puffs. I'm not a big cheeto-type snack fan, but those were really good. For dinner, it was turkey, ham, a cheesy potato dish with roasted garlic and breadcrumbs and butter topping it, green beans, a Jell-O salad, cranberries, croissant rolls, a dip, plus she made a marshmallow topped brownie, a pineapple upside down cake and a banana upside down cake for dessert. Again-9 people were there! We dished up doggie bags for everyone!

Here is my sister B and my brother H. They have no idea they are going to be starring in my little blog corner of the world!
Here is my great-niece Mady. Can't believe my little niece is a mom!



Here is my Mom with her first great-grandchild

We got the car unloaded, new plates put on, transferred her stuff from my brother's car that she was using to her new car and gave extra sets of keys to the kids that live in Wisconsin. It was a good day, but I still so sad that all of us couldn't be together :(

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made a very similar dip around the holidays and got rave reviews on it. At the time, i remember thinking "I could spice this basic recipe up with all sorts of stuff." Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I made a very similar dip around the holidays and got rave reviews on it. At the time, i remember thinking "I could spice this basic recipe up with all sorts of stuff." Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Your warm onion dip sounds excellent! I'll have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's a bummer, I hate when that happens. Your niece is so darn cute!

Heather said...

that's a bummer about the get together. at least the food looks delicious! and your niece is adorable, too :)

Bob said...

That's too bad that not everyone could be there, but that dip looks great! :)

Sara said...

That dip looks amazing! I just love onion dips.

Olga said...

wow! I like anything with mayo...this sounds so very rich and good!