Saturday, February 7, 2009

Potato, Pototo

Aahh, to be 21 again, foot loose and fancy free. The ability to go out with friends and drink the night away. Yeah, I'm 42, my foot loose and fancy free days are behind me-I should have known better. So what better for a hangover than greasy food? Since we live in the country, my greasy hamburger would have been a pile of cold garbage by the time someone got it home for me, I made some spuds. I know, taters are not greasy-until you add the good stuff. We usually make this on the grill, but since it is winter, we made it in the oven (along with a small pork roast that was in an exploding Pyrex cake pan, but I digress). They taste good done in the oven-they taste PHENOMENAL on the grill. It is easy-peasy.


We call these patio potatoes, but I know the normal 'patio potatoes' are a little different. But my family is a little different, so we'll call 'em what we want.

Patio Potatoes

4 large russet potatoes
1 onion
5 strips bacon
shredded cheese of your choice-this is what we had open in fridge
Not shown: olive oil, salt and pepper

Cut the potatoes in a small dice so they will cook faster. Cut onion in half, and then cut each half into small slices. Lay out a large piece of tinfoil and fold in half-you will want it at least 18 inches long when folded in half, so it has enough room to groove. Cut each bacon strip in 3. Lay a couple of strips of bacon on the foil. Scatter potatoes and onions on top of bacon and then throw the rest of the bacon on top. Mix together with your hands. Drizzle the olive oil (or veggie oil if you prefer) over mixture, then salt and pepper.

(I took the picture before I put the rest of the bacon on-when you are hung over, it makes it hard to follow the directions in your head sometimes)
Fold the long length of foil over, then scrunch up the short ends of foil. Place in a 400 degree F. oven. Shake the potatoes occasionally so they don't burn-usually more of a problem on the grill with direct heat under them, but I shake them so they don't stick to foil when making them inside. They should normally be done in about an hour, but today mine were stubborn. The oven was probably mocking me and my 6 rum and Cokes. Stupid oven. After an hour, open foil and test with a fork. If they don't pierce easily, fold up the foil and cook longer.


When potatoes are done, open foil and scatter shredded cheese. Pop back in oven or over grill and heat for a couple minutes until cheese has melted. Normally we just serve them out of the foil, but today I threw them in a bowl. Aahh, cheesy-gooey potatoes.



Pardon me while I go refill my water glass for the 15th time, take another Advil and denounce to my children (again) the evils of liquor.

6 comments:

Spryte said...

YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

Those potatoes look yummy with cheese and bacon.

Bob said...

Those sound wicked good! Heh, so does a rum and coke. ;)

tamilyn said...

Bob-so not happening today! I had a Pepsi instead. Much better.

Anonymous said...

Yum! This looks great, and your hair looks fantastic too! Reminds me that It's been years since I had my hair cut :)

Anonymous said...

As a true Potato Ho, ummm...er...I love this!